Saturday, June 22, 2013

"McNeill is an incompetent; Barberich an outrage; and Alterriba a negligent chair." - Associate Dean John Monfasani

John Monfasani, Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, UAlbany:

From: "Monfasani, John"

Subject: RE: OCR Case No. 02-12-2157 [SUNY at Albany University]: no "cease and desist order"?

Date: March 26, 2013 10:42:45 PM EDT

To: Christopher Philippo

Chris,

OCR looked for a way out for itself. But the letter could still be useful. On the sexual harassment complaint and any of your other complaints was there ever a hearing by a UAlbany committee? My impression from what you have provided is that you were railroaded by officials with the closest thing to a hearing being the meeting you had with [Jeanette] Altaribba and [Michael W.] Barberich in the former’s office.

John

John Monfasani

Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences

Distinguished Professor, History Department

The University at Albany, State University of New York

1400 Washington Avenue

Albany, New York 12222

E-mail excerpts:

On Jun 26, 2012, at 1:54 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

I'm on the Senate Excecutive Committee this coming year. Perhaps, there is something that can be done in respect to profs and administrators.

On Jul 11, 2012, at 5:36 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

All the procedural contradictions you lay out are troubling and your suspicions about their fear of Cleary are plausible, but what really interests me is why are they are so intent on protecting [Michael W.] Barberich, who sounds like disgraceful prof. Let's meet at the Starbucks across from Sears after I get back. I'll contact you after the 26th.

On Jul 11, 2012, at 10:17 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

Wasn't fun, I can tell you that, and, yes, I've paid a price since then. But more when we talk. J

On Jul 14, 2012, at 7:27 AM, John Monfasani wrote:

The real culprit in the tale is [Michael W.] Barberich. I wonder if they'll acknowledge that.

On Jul 29, 2012, at 9:36 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

Nobody in Com. is in a position to tell if there is a cease/desist order in effect. I'll be going into UA tomorrow after being away for almost two months. In the next few weeks, I'll see what I can find out. Sit tight for a while.

On Jul 30, 2012, at 3:41 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

In essence, wittingly and unwittingly, they're all covering for Barberich and then McNeill.

On Aug 1, 2012, at 10:52 AM, John Monfasani wrote:

The faculty as a whole was hostile to Division I for many reasons, one being the corruption you document in your email. I doubt things will change with a new prez. The problem is that there's so much academic corruption apart from athletics, your case being a good example.

On Aug 1, 2012, at 10:59 AM, John Monfasani wrote:

I'm passing this link and the one in the subsequent email on to where it might have some effect.

On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:54 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

Sad. Yes, Communications is one of the depts. I view as a real problem. There are others, but the only way things will turn around is if we have an administration that once them to turn around.

On Aug 1, 2012, at 5:59 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

Yes, I'm sure I have the resolution in my Roberts file. I was the accuser while Kim, Lubensky, and Range were strong supporters in the Senate. Eventually, in the late spring of 2002 there was a general assembly of faculty et al. where the administr. (Hitchcock, Santiago, and forget who else) were at a table in front and I and Kim iterated our accusations and demanded answers which were not forthcoming, a most embarrassing moment for that crew. But somehow Santiago landed on his feet playing the minority card and snagging the Milwaukee job. Even Hitchcock landed well, when forced out by SUNY Central, getting the presidency of Queens College in Ontario, but that ended badly when the faculty and students eventually united in calling for her resignation. The real tragedy is that the lower administration which they appointed hung on there and continued their culture of corruption and mediocrity. We never had the house-cleaning needed to change the intellectual and moral climate here.

On Aug 1, 2012, at 11:05 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

They don't want to deal with what is clearly a screw up on their part. [Clarence L. "Clay"] McNeill is an incompetent; [Michael W.] Barberich an outrage; and [Jeanette] Alterriba a negligent chair.

On Aug 3, 2012, at 8:26 AM, John Monfasani wrote:

I hope you force the whole school to take the oath -- for the first time! When classes start, I'll ask the new members of history if they had to sign any such thing.

On Aug 3, 2012, at 10:17 AM, John Monfasani wrote:

Everybody complains about the Microsoft takeover of our email, but to no avail at the moment. UA's interest in student groups is just for show save in the case of those whose agitation or even existence might be useful to some profs or administrators for ideological, political, or some other reason.

On Aug 5, 2012, at 6:30 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

Send a reply so that I know that this address work. It goes through a Verizon server.

On Aug 5, 2012, at 7:32 PM, John Monfasani wrote:

Glad you can now send me material without fear of UA looking at it. [Clarence L.] McNeill is absurd. He seems to think he can abrogate the 1st amendment of the Constitution for everyone on campus in communicating with you or you with them. I shall be talking to people this week and next. I'm not sanguine about the US D. of Ed., but perhaps you'll get lucky and chance upon someone with ideals and dedication to take up your complaint.

From: John Monfasani

Subject: Re: FOI-L listserv

Date: August 6, 2012 3:56:19 PM EDT

To: "Christopher K. Philippo"

Chris,

Actually, I would welcome them challenging me about you. I think I could turn this into a cause célèbre, which would be mightily embarrassing to them for the very reasons you give and cause them to throw in the towel.

John

From: John Monfasani

Subject: Re: FOI-L listserv

Date: August 8, 2012 2:41:14 PM EDT

To: Christopher Philippo

Chris,

Strange happenings at UA. To my total surprise, I have been offered the position of associate dean of CAS, and I accepted when Dean Wulfert made it clear that she was on the same page with me on improving the scholarly quality of the place. Now this actually means that I have less liberty of action in speaking publicly about you and daring [Clarence L.] McNeill to do something about it. On the other hand, behind the scenes I am better positioned to ask questions, perhaps get answers, and steer people in the right direction. I'm in harness 1 September on. So it will be early fall before I can seriously start nosing about.

John

"Wasn't fun, I can tell you that, and, yes, I've paid a price since then." Yeah.

So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment