Wednesday, December 24, 2014

UAlbany's Sue R. Faerman: Sue! Arr! Not fair, man!

One of the documents sent to me by the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights in response to a FOIA request that I particularly like is UAlbany's then-Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education Sue R. Faerman’s expectation stated in a July 1, 2012 10:15 AM e-mail that I should “let this go and move on” - i.e. give up on reporting academic dishonesty, faculty ethics violations, sexual harassment, and retaliation for having reported those things. What a great attitude for a Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education to have!

I guess I was also supposed to let go and move on from my complaint about being overcharged $30.00 for a FOIL request for my own grades for a class and UAlbany then not cashing the check and not explaining why, and my complaint about the professor I'd reported for academic dishonesty, faculty ethics violations, sexual harassment, and retaliation having apparently inflated my grade from an A- to an A.

Then-Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education Sue R. Faerman’s e-mail on page 86 of the 281 pages sent in response to my FOIA request does answer my questions on page 90 in a July 1, 2012 9:29 AM e-mail:

In the end, is it safe to report faculty ethics violations at UA or isn’t it? Is it safe to report academic dishonesty or isn’t it? Is it safe to report sexual harassment and retaliation or isn’t it? Or does it all just set off new rounds of obstructionism and retaliation?

Reporting those things at UAlbany does indeed just set off new rounds of obstructionism and retaliation. Well, OK, not just that. For Sue R. Faerman, participating in the obstructionism and retaliation meant a promotion to the unnecessary position of Senior Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, created just for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment