Thursday, December 5, 2013

Psycho*?

One of the people who most aggressively assisted in the retaliation against me for reporting academic dishonesty, sexual harassment, and retaliation for having reported the same was then-Communication Department Chair, Department of Psychology Professor, and Cognition and Language Laboratory Director Jeanette Altarriba. Her fanatical pursuit of having me punished for reporting things the university encourages and even requires students to report (and that she even encouraged me to report!) seems to have started after she learned I'd reported *her* academic dishonesty and her quid pro quo sexual harassment. She'd forced me to remain in the professor's class being further subjected to his offensive behavior as an inescapable condition of receiving my degree and graduating, while perversely encouraging me to keep reporting the professor to her and to even encourage other students to report him (when she knew I didn't really know anybody and was extremely shy, etc.).

Clarence L. McNeill forwarded her an e-mail titled "Good Morning" he'd sent me in which he (improperly!) recommended that I voluntarily refrain from communicating with anyone about the professor I'd reported for academic dishonesty, sexual harassment, and retaliation. It was improper for him to even recommend that for a variety of reasons, including:

Victims shall: [...]

* Be free from any threat of retaliation or other attempt to prevent the reporting of sexual misconduct;

* Be free from unwanted pressure from campus personnel to: [...]

* Refrain from reporting sexual assaults for any reason, including the fear of unwanted personal publicity.

http://www.albany.edu/studentconduct/27173.php

In other e-mails Clarence L. McNeill threatened me, sending me a sinister "warning" that I "need to forget about" the professor I'd reported for academic dishonesty, sexual harassment, and retaliation. How consistent is that with UAlbany's "Victims of Campus Sexual Assault: Statement of Principles and Rights"? Threatening me with civil and criminal litigation for reporting academic dishonesty, sexual harassment, and retaliation that the campus encouraged and even required me to report?

How many other people has Clarence L. McNeill similarly threatened? How many campus suicides are of people who had turned to Clarence L. McNeill or other faculty or staff for help and who were ignored or threatened in response?

Clarence L. McNeill, in writing Jeanette Altarriba and keeping her in the loop on retaliation, without informing her he had changed his subject line to "Cease & Desist" and he significantly edited the e-mail he'd sent me, leaving parts out and adding something that wasn't in the e-mail he sent me "P.S. I did notify the UPD Police Chief's [sic] of this directive as well." She may have assumed that "Cease & Desist" was the subject line of the e-mail he'd sent me, and that "P.S. I did notify the UPD Police Chief's of this directive as well" was also in the e-mail he'd sent me, even though they weren't.

Jeanette Altarriba, in aggressively assisting the retaliation against me, wrote Dean Sue Faerman, Senior Counsel John Reilly, University Counseling Center Director Estela Rivero, and others falsely claiming to them that I had been "issued an order to 'cease and desist', [and] violated that order twice" (underlining and bold emphasis of "twice" in original); writing of my alleged "failure to adhere to the 'cease and desist' order" and so forth. I had not been issued an order, and I'd never violated the order as there never was an order.

Moreover, the supposed violations of the supposed order were e-mails to people to whom I'd already reported things who I was keeping in the loop about such things as my own well-being for which I perhaps mistakenly believed they cared. I'd forwarded those e-mails to McNeill myself in the interest of transparency. I was acting on the level: they were not. Clarence L. McNeill had written me “The right thing to do is refrain from talking about [the professor you reported for academic dishonesty, sexual harassment, and retaliation] to ANYONE at UA with the exception of those you have already initiated contact with (e.g. ODI, DRC, Vice Provost Office).” Thus even if he had ordered me (which he hadn't) I was availing myself of exceptions to his (improper) advice that he'd provided in person and in writing.

Jeanette Altarriba wrote of her "own level of discomfort as Chair" and that she was "not opposed to barring this student from access to campus [...] we are at a critical level of safety concern". Well no doubt she was feeling uncomfortable, she'd put herself in that position. She'd forced me to remain in the class of a professor I'd reported to her for academic dishonesty and sexual harassment, and she'd left a paper trail of her failure to help me and of her efforts to retaliate against me after I'd reported her as well.

It all seems kind of unreal (and indeed it ought to be), but I did find evidence (too late) that appears to indicate they did this kind of stuff to others, e.g.:

"Grenz said e-mails among UAlbany officials demonstrate there were meanspirited delays on Yi's grievances. The e-mails were turned over as part of the criminal case.

“One by the assistant dean of graduate studies, Jonathan Bartow, states: ‘I do not intend to immediately respond to (Yi’s) most recent message and I hope I set the stage for such slow movement on his request in my earlier message.'"

Carleo-Evangelist, Jordan. “Question of fairness at school; Lawyer says UAlbany overreacted in dealings with now-jailed student.” Albany Times Union. October 25, 2007: A1. http://albarchive.merlinone.net/mweb/wmsql.wm.request?oneimage&imageid=6425910

"Attorney Eugene Grenz cast Liangdong Yi's arrest as case of post-Virginia Tech paranoia. City Court Judge Rachel L. Kretser, however, saw it more simply: University Police were incomplete in filling out the arrest documents."

Carleo-Evangelist, Jordan. "Police mistake leads to dismissal; Ex-student faces possible deportation to China after judge finds threat case is tainted." Albany Times Union. March 14, 2008: D1. http://albarchive.merlinone.net/mweb/wmsql.wm.request?oneimage&imageid=6541186

Clearly we don't have all the facts in that case just from those articles, but John Murphy seemed to have lured that student on campus with a promise of a meeting to discuss an issue about grades only so they could arrest him. My guess is that the letter from Murphy the student was carrying as he said he was going to meet with Murphy was an invitation from Murphy to meet with him. The campus claimed the student made some kind of a vague threat but they couldn’t provide specifics about what it was, and it was possible somebody had misheard something due to the student's strong accent. They then botched the arrest of the person they claimed was a terrible threat to the campus, which if he had been a real threat would have been totally inexcusable. My guess is that the officers who bungled the arrest did not suffer much, if any, for their lack of professionalism.

John Murphy *repeatedly* tried luring me on campus, when he knew I didn’t feel safe going back on campus and in fact refused to do so, and when people at the university had claimed I was a risk to safety - something he knew. Why, then, did John Murphy try to get me to go on campus to meet with him there?

No comments:

Post a Comment